Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Coffee Swap Assignment # 3 and an FO!

Part One: The Assignment

Tell us how you started drinking coffee. Were you in high school or college and making it through all nighters? Did you get it from a family member? What drives your love of the bean?

Although I always loved the smell of coffee I was primarily a tea drinker until I was in my late twenties! In fact I remember going with my dad to the school he taught at once when I would have been about 14 or 15 and being given a cup of coffee. I could hardly choke it down even with the four or five packets of sugar and creamer that I put in it.

It wasn't until I was about 27 and having a terrible time with my first serious asthma attack that I started what has become an addiction to coffee! I'd was taking my inhalers about once every two hours (as prescribed) and going back to the dr. for treatment each morning and yet I was still not able to get any relief from the coughing that is my main symptom of my asthma. I was staying with my Mom at the time because I'd come into visit and the dr. told me not to drive the 2 1/2 hours back to the town I lived in as he was worried I'd not make it there with all the stubble burning in the fields at the time.

Mom started giving me hot coffee as a way to soothe the cough (she'd read somewhere that it was a good home remedy) and kept giving it to me when we noticed it was having some helpful effects. I must have drank cup after cup in desperation that week! Ten years later, I drink coffee every morning and still rely on it when my breathing starts getting really bad!

I love the taste, the smell, the warmth of it! Hmmm... think I'll have to go get myself a cup!

Part Two: The FO

As previously mentioned in my last post, I caved into the pressure of G's desire for a Two-Toned Fitted Shrug. I'm really glad that I did! I finished it last night and she was thoroughly surprised! I only had a few rows left to go so was sitting in the kitchen trying to finish it up while she was in the other room watching TV. At one point N came through the kitchen and inquired, "Whatcha knitting this time mom?" See? A 13 year old boy notices when I'm doing a different project! Not so for "G the Oblivious"! She wandered into the kitchen and started chatting away. I figured the jig was up and she was going to for sure realize what it was. But nope. She wandered away and then came back as I was casting off the last stitch. "Whatcha knitting mom? Is it a Robbie sweater?" "Nope," I replied. "Is it an Emilie Jennifer sweater?" "Nope," I replied and then held up the finished product for her to see. With a squeal of delight, "Is it a Gwennie sweater?!?!?!" "Yep!!" I said. She put it on and wore it the rest of the evening!

Two-Toned Fitted Shrug from Fitted Knits

So here's the specs.

Yarn: One ball each of black and heather grey Paton's Decor (total cost $8.40!)

Size: Smallest - 13" from shoulder to shoulder

Started: April 7/08 Finished: April 14/08 (Knit on the sly for the most part when G wasn't around so really a very quick knit!)

Mods: None what so ever! I loved this pattern for her!



4 comments:

  1. I've also made that shrug recently. I knit it in Berocco ultra Alpaca. Soooo soft. I've also made a long sleeve version for my friend last fall in Missions falls superwash yarn. It's a great pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The shrug looks great!!! I didn't like the pattern inthe book and I think now it's because of the colors they used in the book--I love the colors you used!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's lovely, and so is your girl. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the shrug! It looks so good! Coffee good for cough?! Holly crap, then I need a mug full!

    ReplyDelete