Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Coffee Swap Assignment #4

Let's pretend for a minute we all live in the home of our dreams, have land, and don't have to work so time is unlimited! It's Spring planting season! What would you grow? A little veggie garden? A bed of bright spring blooms? Or is your thumb so far from green that the only thing you'd be planting is your tushy into a nice chair on the porch to get some knitting or crocheting done in the nice breeze?

I would definately have a veggie garden and a flower bed! Growing up, my mom always planted at least two huge (and by huge I mean bigger than the space of my entire lot here in the city) gardens. One year she actually had three. I miss the fun of planting a garden and the opportunity to decide I want beans for supper and just run outside to pick some! In my veggie garden you would find tomatoes, radishes, lettuce, beans and peas. Oh and potatoes. There's nothing as good as baby potatoes! I forgot the onions and chives too. Oh and throw in a zucchini plant as well, because even though as a kid I dreaded the always bumper crop of zucchini, in adulthood I've grown fond of it and almost choke every time I spend money on buying a teeny tiny one at the grocery store. Of course I'd also like to have the rows of strawberry plants and rasberry bushes Mom used to have as well!

As for flowers, well there I'd follow my Great Aunt Flora's lead and have lavender and bee balm, clemantis and daisies. I'd also want some petunias, bachelor buttons and lillies in there as well. And hostas. Lots of hostas!

I'd fill flower boxes and planters all along my verandah - you did say it was the house of my dreams, right? If it is then there is a verandah along the entire front of the house. And when the summer sun is high in the sky, the breeze is blowing the scent of the flowers in the air, I could sit on my wicker chair on the verandah and knit to my heart's content surrounded by bright colours!

Sigh... now off to check the Environment Canada's website again to see if they've cancelled our "Winter Storm Warning" that is in effect for today and tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment