Thursday, November 27, 2008

Amazing Autumn Coffee Swap - Final Assignment

This week is Thanksgiving in the US, and our Canadian friends have already celebrated their day of thanks. So for this week, share a recipe, or tell us what your favorite 'Fall Foods' are - for me, I just love some Chili!! I always enjoy it, but during the cool, crisp weather of Autumn, I truly begin to crave it and make it more often - what's your favorite?

Well, for me I crave soups and stews in the fall. There is something warming and satisfying about coming home after a long day, opening the door and being greeted by the smell of a rich, hearty soup that's been simmering all day in the crock pot.

I have several favourites - too many to start listing them here really. So I will give you the recipe for one that the whole family enjoys. It's sort of a cross between a soup and a stew, so easy to make and tastes fantastic (or at least in our opinions


Perfect for a cool fall day!

Italian Sausage Soup

1 lb Italian sausage, browned, cooled and then cut into bite sized pieces (use any "heat" level you like - sometimes I use mild other times hot, just depends on what I feel like!)
1 large can of chopped stewed tomatoes
1 package of Lipton Onion soup mix
1 jar of spaghetti sauce (any old kind will do!)
1 bag of frozen mixed veggies (I like the "Mediterranean" kind that has peppers and eggplant in it - sorry I can't for the life of me think of the brand. It's in a red bag at Superstore if that helps!)
water ( I usually just fill the now emptied out spaghetti sauce jar with water - it's usually enough!)
red pepper flakes
basil
salt and pepper
broad egg noodles
freshly grated parmesan cheese

Combine all ingredients other than the noodles and cheese in the crockpot. Set to simmer on low for 10 hours. Half an hour before you want to eat, turn the crockpot to high, add approximately 1 1/2 cups of uncooked egg noodles, replace lid and cook for 1/2 hour more. Serve soup with freshly grated parmesan cheese as a garnish. On a really good day I'll put the bread machine on timer to be finished at the same time as the soup, which is a wonderful compliment to the meal. I'm just not always that organized in the morning!

Hope you enjoy the recipe!

As for knitting - I've done precious little of it over the last two weeks. I've been sick with what started out as a bit of a cold that then took a vicious turn for the worse and became a full on asthma attack. It's left me feeling too drained to do much of anything in the evenings besides put on my flannel jammies and crawl into bed. Maybe next week I'll have knitting to tell you about!

No comments:

Post a Comment